July 24, 2009

Light Skin Bright Skin

Light Bright, Damn near White
The complexity of my "bright" complexion
Has always been rather vexing
And the topic of a discussion that I've had more than once


Is it really my fault that this mixed melanin ended up being one of the lighter shades on the Black skin spectrum?
Does that make me "less Black" than the sistas closer to the Midnight hue?
Wait! Wait it's that I couldn't possibly understand the struggle the way the ebony folks do.
Billie Holiday psssh What could she really know bout Strange Fruit
Cuz let's not forget... she was light skin too
"Darker the Berry, Sweeter the juice" is what Pac said
And India Arie was in love with his Brown skin, not his yellow skin
So where in the hell does that leave me?
Besides not having my own song
Being light skin is low key frowned on in the Black community
It's the unnecessary necessary evil
And contrary to what most have heard
This light skin, bright skin ain't always in
At least not til a nigga gets concerned over his next of kin
Cuz recently I was told light skin is the solution for the Brother
Who wants caramel kids but not with a White mother

Words and taunts like "high yellow porch monkey girl" following me from my childhood
Words that left me feeling like
The bastard baby of the slave
Masta took a special liking to
The hatred experienced from my more antioxidant-rich chocolate peers
Left me feeling this urge to prove that I too could call myself Black
Becoming a slave to tan in a can and countless hours in the sun
Enduring painful sunburns and peeling
The words "Let's see if we can make Light Bright bruise" echoing in my mind
So the Summer sun became my best friend
And no matter how hot you'd never find me in the shade
Growing up to despise Winter
Knowing all my time spent getting darker was about to fade

And just when I thought I had shaken this complex issue as a whole
I'm reminded again at 18
In a club and dude is tryin to holla
Like "Yo Light Bright!" like it's my name (and I'm suppose to know)
And upon gettin no response "Stuck up light skin Bitch" is what he mutters
Only to approach my opposite minutes later
He's more like "What's good my Beautiful Ebony Dream"
I see her respond with a smile that says her panties are bout to melt like butter
I'm standing there thinking what's wrong with this scene?
Guess cuz I'm light skin that disqualifies me from being a Black queen

Spoken or not this light skin bright skin almost white skin
This "damn girl you glow in the dark" skin is suppose to be my shame
So I refuse to answer to Light Bright as if it's my name
Okay wait, hold up I take that back
I'll respond to Light Bright if they'll answer to Darkie
Or better yet how bout Spook?
I mean no need to be offended
I'm just sayin what was said in reverse
Nothing more, Nothing much worse


2 comments:

  1. Women and skin color. Women really have issues with it, think about it, and have opinions based on skin color. It is both funny to me, and sad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sad... being penalized for something one has no control over. But what adds insult to injury is being penalized by those who should be able to not just sympathize but EMPATHIZE as well. Folks wonder why there's still a struggle, how do you really expect it to end if we're attacking self?

    ReplyDelete